Step-by-step Guide: Set Gmail as the Default Email Client for Browser
We have to say it: Gmail is a powerful and elegant email client and it’s amazing that we can use it for free! You can actually make Gmail the default email client in all aspects of your online life! Of course, there are other email clients trying to steal Gmail’s popularity, especially when you try to send an email directly from browser.
Have you ever clicked on a “mailto” link in browser (an email address highlighted as a link) and not get Gmail? This usually happens when you make the passage from an email client like Outlook to Gmail, because the first one is considered to be the default email client.
Today, we are going to show you how to make sure the Gmail client is your default email client for when opening link emails from the browser. This action also allows you to make sure all your emails stay in Gmail, without having to go back and forth with another mail client.
#1: Setting Gmail as the default email client with Protocol Handler active
- Open your Google Chrome browser and type https://mail.google.com in the address bar. This will open your Gmail account if you are logged in.
- Check in the top-right corner, right near Bookmark sign, if you can see the Protocol Handler icon. It looks like two diamonds overlapping. If you don’t see it, don’t panic, we’ll talk about this situation below. If you can see it, click on it.
- A pop-up menu will be displayed asking if you want Gmail to be the default email client for links.
- Select Allow and click on Done.
And that’s it; from now on your email links will be opened using the Gmail client.
#2: Setting the default email client without the Protocol Handler
- Go to Menu (the 3 horizontal lines on the top-right corner) and select Settings
- Scroll down, until you reach the bottom of the page and click on the Show Advanced Settings link.
- Click on the Content Settings button.
- Scroll down until you find Handlers (usually the fourth option available)
- Click on Manage Handlers and, in the pop-up window, select mail.google.com from the dropdown menu for mailto. Click Done, and close the Settings window.
And, once again, that’s it. You’ve completed the necessary steps to set the Gmail client as your default email client for email links from your browser.
Setup Google Workspace With Onsite Helper today!
Onsite Helper - Australia's top Google Partner
Your business can also enjoy these new features and more when you upgrade to Google Workspace with Onsite Helper today!
Onsite Helper specialises in Google Workspace migration, managed IT systems and solutions, and onsite IT support. We provide free cloud service consultation and a free IT security audit. We’ve helped hundreds of businesses in Melbourne, Victoria and all over Australia, and we are more than happy to work with you as well.
Click the button below and call us today!